Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Hibernation

Dear Blog,

I am sorry I left you for so long.  I don't know what happened to November.  One day it was here, the next it was gone.  If you feel that I do not love you anymore, you are wrong.  I have been passing the time knitting like a crazed women on meds.  I do not have any pictures because I am too lazy to put them onto the un-rewritable discs that the stupid pharmacy make me pay $4.99 for each time a take pictures.  I have failed you miserably and for that I am sorry.  Now, get over it.

Hibernation:  According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary hibernation means one of two things: 1."to pass the winter in a torpid or resting state." or 2. "to be or become inactive or dormant."  Last night I thought for sure hibernation was setting into my household.  My husband and I both went to bed at 8:30...and it was wonderful.  I thought for sure we were becoming dormant and then I remembered last weekend. 

Last weekend a beautiful snow descended upon our western Kansas prairie, and I went into a knitting frenzy.  I made delicious soup, settled myself on the couch and started/finished I don't even know how many projects.  Now, if by dormant the dictionary means that for all intensive purposes I never left the couch, then by all means call me dormant.  But, because the production of knitwear does actually require me to sit down (not always..I used to knit while bartending) does that in fact mean that I am dormant?  I choose to say no. Do these sudo-dormant days of endless knitting, soup eating, movie watching in fact create an end product....yes!  So my conclusion is that I am indeed not dormant, just choosing weather appropriate activities. (I know, I know....I would do these activities in the middle of the summer if I had air conditioning, but touche) 

This is my favorite weather.  I was born in the winter and I think that every winter I feel like I have come full circle into my time of year.  I love the cold.  I love wrapping up in all of my woollies.  I love taking walks in the cold. I am so happy to be having a winter baby, I just can't imagine how my knitting would have turned out otherwise.  I love the winter.  Weird I know.  But if I could live in perpetual winter, or at least a longer winter and cooler summer, I would.  Happily.  Graciously.  I envy those who do, doesn't anybody have a job opening in Canada!  (I'm up for anything and have a wide variety of skills sets....just FYI).  To me winter is the baring of the soul of nature.  There are no pretty, green coverings, no beautification, just raw, unkempt beauty.  The starkness and contrast of bare trees and earth against soft white snow and crisp, fresh air is like refreshment for the soul.  A re birthing if you will.  Nature needs a birthday and that comes in the winter.  It's a time to rest, recoup, reheat the soul...to hibernate.  

Happy hibernating.

No comments:

Post a Comment